Oh hi, Viv here (vivien.tanshihui@gmail.com)

Saturday 23 November 2013












So finally we're done with Interactive Media Journal!!! So the module requires us to set up an interactive website on journalism and my group decided to do on the dying hawker culture in Singapore.

 Not sure if you all remember but I was actually interviewing certain hawkers previously and having alot of fun eating at all these places I would never travel to. 133 Ban Mian is really the best please please please go try it. I had alot of fun working with Pete (cause we split the group in half), interviewing these hawkers and hearing their story. Honestly I'm surprised by how passionate they are and how they confidently believe in the hawker culture in Singapore. I had so much fun haha

I was just scrolling through instagram that day and I realised that most of the food we post up are usually from cafes, things that look fanciful and aesthetically pleasing (like strawberries yum) Not that it's wrong or that I'm against anything, it was just a realisation on my part. I feel like we've been eating so much fast food or at shopping malls that a 5-8 dollar meal may seem like a norm to us when actually, there are such a variety of $2-$3 choices in the hawker centers. 

Ok enough of my ranting but please do go view this website my group has put together! It's actually nice to read (not being biased here) cause there's videos and the interviews are so heartfelt and honest. You get to hear what these people have to say and why they even started. Do your part and pledge to preserve the hawker culture in Singapore! 

To pledge and show your support, please click the yellow button all the way at the bottom of the page and follow @hawkersaviour on Instagram! 
#hashtag #savinghawkers


THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT
it's the least we could do
(My group and I would really appreciate it)


http://www.calvin.sg/savinghawkers/

No comments:

Post a Comment