Oh hi, Viv here (vivien.tanshihui@gmail.com)

Thursday 21 November 2013






Final sem show 

Finally done with my final 6 images and I'm really happy with this project that I've done. I've never liked street photography for some reason. Ok wait no, I appreciate it but it's something that I didn't see myself doing. Everything about street photography is so spontaneous, everything left by chance.
Which I now appreciate the beauty of it. Sometimes its fun not to be entirely in control on the photos you're creating, and with this project I think it's by far the most spontaneous I've done. I've no idea who I'm going to meet on the streets, what poses they'd be comfortable to do, the amount of rejection especially in the context of Singapore. The first time I went to look for a stranger was with Rachel and after walking in the scorching hot sun for the afternoon, I really wanted to drop this entire project. 

But I'm glad I did not cause when I consulted my teacher to propose the fish idea (bottom 3 images) she encouraged me with the strangers project and that gave me more confidence to continue it. And I'm glad I did! I'm hoping to continue this during the holidays and make it an ongoing project. As of now I'm really excited to see what other images can be created but I'm also fearful about how receptive the public is to this. Or like how many more strangers can I get. But I'll leave that all aside now, till December. Jie Min told me I could work towards 60 images and make them into a book rather than having a tumblr site that leaves it with no end. 
OK STOP

Thanks to everyone who has been helping me with this! I realise that after every project of mine I have countless of people I really want to thank. I want to thank all my friends especially Rach Pete for like listening to all my rants and my indecisive self deciding between fish or strangers. And for actually trying to come up with a concept for the fish one hahahaha that was hilarious. Like Pete found some instinctive movement theory thing which sounded quite legit. And Rach for accompanying me around :') I'm really happy when my group of friends help me honestly so thank you guys. 

And to all my friends that I've shot! Thanks for being such a sport. I know this isn't a super glamourous shoot having you guys take photos with strangers, thank you for your time and enthusiasm. Valerie, Eds, Ron, Shiyao, Mart, Helen, Joia, Joilyn, Marc, Chad, Rachel, Elias, Eds's sister thanks for being in the photos!!! I know it's not easy to do a straight face of put your arms around people you don't know. 
SO THANK YOU
Esp when they get really excited about your photo, going an extra mile like Ron had to be in uniform and Shiyao said she's ONLY going to take photos with strangers now. 
Thank you thank you thank you 

And to everyone that linked me the Richard Renaldi video hahaha you guys are too cute. 
I think I've got about 10 people linking me videos, articles, websites posting on my wall
Biggest hugs to everyone and thank you for being such support <3

(I have time to post now cause my video is taking forever to render)
BACK TO WORK

I'll post the photos soon when my exams are over!!! Including those that I didn't print to exhibit

No comments:

Post a Comment