Oh hi, Viv here (vivien.tanshihui@gmail.com)

Thursday 25 July 2013



Jap food with Miss H yum yum. Finally we managed to get dinner together because everyone knows Miss H is a busy lady hahah thanks for taking time to have a meal together. I'm very thankful for Miss H and it all started in secondary school in St Margs. I have never been very academically inclined but thank God by His grace I'm in NTU now hahaha. Me being in uni might actually may come off as a huge surprise. I first witness that when I scored relatively well (Good in my standards then) everyone was in shock. Hahaha to me I was thinking 'Isn't that an average mark?' Yeah I'm thankful and all but why the big reaction. So yeah probably learnt that I'm not really expected to do very well in life with a 215 in PSLE. So to all those taking major exams or struggling academically, don't give up! 
Get your head in the game (High school musical coming in handy here)

Yes so art. I'm thankful that I somehow managed to be doing art till now. It wasn't exactly my first choice cause I've always known to be the black girl that plays netball for life. Since primary school I've been playing (doesn't mean I'm very good at it, I'm normal) till I was sec 3 when I encouraged to take art as an O'level subject. Somehow I did, and you have no idea how grateful I am to have made that decision. Also to my parents for allowing me to do so cause I've heard of many cases whereby they're not really allowed to pursue art, more so fine arts. Plus it was by faith cause I really had no background.  You should have seen my first drawing, not only was a lousy, I was lazy too. I still remember very clearly how we were asked to draw the classmate sitting OPPOSITE us. But I decided to be lazy and draw Namirah who was beside me cause then I only needed to draw half a face. I felt so sorry for her cause I made her look like a frog, can never forget the look on her face when she saw it. But guess what, the instructor lifted up my work and said 'Picasso in the making because he always draws his portraits side view' I couldn't react to that really cause firstly I didn't really know who Picasso was, secondly how could something so terrible be complimented and what a terrible way to start making friends. My classmates must be thinking 'Oh that teacher's pet' Hahaha but anyways I loved my SMSS art friends they've changed my life I don't think they even know this and I'm not gonna blog about it here cause it's too damn long. 

Yeah so as time progressed, I really enjoyed art periods cause I didn't have to be highlighting and reading from textbooks. It was such a great break! Hmm perhaps like recess but without food :> Slowly but surely I did improve tremendously in my opinion. From not knowing how to draw, I ended up being able to shade QUITE realistically. And I really like it there cause I could define the work the way I want it to, and had the privilege of having an amazing teacher who could mentor me in work and in life. My self confidence improve (and is still improving very slowly but surely). Can't explain how it did but it's through all the very small details and encounters that made me feel belonged in this area. My classmates were the most helpful and they are the people I can see everyday for the whole day. We practically lived in the art room. Yknow how rare it is for the sec 4s sec 5s art club girls to all bond with one another. Pretty cool right? To me it is hahaha

And now that I'm doing art, the person I constantly go back to would be Miss H cause I feel the most comfortable seeking her for advice. Whenever in doubt or in crisis (like my A'level work hahaha) she'd be there for me be it emotionally or with advice on my work. I'm so glad I found a mentor that would guide me despite me graduating donkey years ago and sincerely wants to see me do well. There are so many instances that she has been there for me and I wished I could document all of it but I know I'm really typing way too much and she hope she doesn't read this. She's really an awesome person can't emphasize it enough. 

So thankful for you, wouldn't be who I am today if not for you
Not that I'm anything damn big uh but yeah as you can see I'm loving art ever since I've started it and have been greatly blessed. And of course to my parents they've been great pillars of support even now.
I wished I had someway of showing them how grateful and blessed I am. 

(Idk how photos of jap food linked to this but happy reading and congrats if you've made it all the way to the bottom.)

No comments:

Post a Comment