Oh hi, Viv here (vivien.tanshihui@gmail.com)

Friday 14 February 2014

Clingwrappy Valentines






I'm gonna begin this post with a 'YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY'

Although I'm clearly aware that today is valentines day, but me being very bothered and worried about today wasn't if I'm going to spend it alone but because I had a shoot which I was extremely anxious about as well as my exchange results. So now that everything on my Friday agenda is done, I can blog with a peace of mind (and with lots of joy in my heart haha) My cheeks are hurting as I type cause I've been smiling since 6pm till now, and till tomorrow hahaha. Ok, lengthy post coming up

Firstly, I did my first shot of my series of 3 today and this shot was the hardest to do. Although it was something I could imagine all in my head but I knew that executing it would be different and not that easy. It was already difficult to gather a group of willing girls on this special day of the month, and to shoot something that is the total opposite of glamourous. So actually these poor friends of mine had to be clingwrapped and body stacked on each other, under the scorching sun. Directing them was tough cause I found myself saying sorry half the time, having them put their body weight on each other, arms in the most contorted ways, while they sweated their entire body out. It's tough job man hahah and I'm so so thankful that they did this with me so positively. I thought I might have faced alot more problems composing my picture cause building a human pyramid isn't easy to be aesthetically pleasing I guess? But we did it in 1 or 2 tries! Which was great cause we did everything in an hour hahaha. Was trying my best to shorten the torture time for them and only took 2 shots with the Hasselblad and I pray with all my heart that they're good. I also had Pete shooting on the 35mm and helping me get stuff or giving them tissue hahaha thanks alot for helping me! Unwrapping all of them was probably the most liberating for both parties cause we were just cutting through everything. I had friends that looked like they were going to pass out omg I'm so so sorry. So, we ended off with a ball of clingwrap drenched in sweat which Pete picked up to throw away I didn't even know. Hahahah whoops thank you

What an experience really. Obviously they all had their valentines day gift from me which is nothing compared to whatever I put them through, suffocating their lungs and crushing their ribs for a picture (Slight exaggeration here). And something I like to do after every shoot, is to give each one a polaroid for memory sake. It's like my way of saying thank you cause I love my wide polaroids so much I'd wanna share it hahah. 

Thank you Amanda, Chiewtong, Christina, Lixin, Hsien Juan and Pete for helping me todayyy really appreciate how willing you all were. Even though I gave you all warnings and sample pictures of my sister being clingwrapped you guys didn't reject me. And I realised that these are all my church friends :') I'm really new in Hope Church but I'm glad I've met friends like them that made me adjust a lot easier. Especially to Chiewtong my shepherd for tanking the bottom of the human pyramid although you're so skinny and small and for always being so enthusiastic in my projects. I think you would know best about how I struggled so much with this 'Stereotypes' project. And to Chris and Lixin for helping me gather more people cause I'm too embarrassed to ask around. I'm just so glad that things are finally happening although all my classmates are already done and editing when I'm still shooting?! But it's ok, at least I'm happy with this take on Stereotypes :>

Haha like I said on Instagram, today I've realised how I'm worth my friend's time, sweat and lungs hahaha. Happy Valentines Day everyone :>

(Oh yes btw! If you look closely my polaroids have light leaks?! I think it's because I've dropped my polaroid quite a few times and it's pretty old. So maybe you might wanna try dropping your polaroids strategically hahaha just a suggestion but don't hold me to it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment